Do you know that today is the official launch of Pokemon Go in South Africa? While some of the more tech-savvy got hold the APK download file for Android when the game was first released, most have been waiting patiently for it to officially arrive in the country.
But already, some dude in the US has got all 142 Pokemon available there.
Dedicated to the mission, it’s estimated that Brooklyn-based Nick Johnson walked 8 miles (13km) a day to catch ’em all. He went on to give his top tips – read HERE – as well as taking the opportunity to punt his published book and tech startup. What people will do for PR, hey?
Some highlights from his Pokémon Go adventure, thanks to BI:
- He chose water-type Squirtle as his first Pokémon because he didn’t realize [sic] that he had a choice. He would have gone with the fire-type Charmander, in reflection of his choice of Team Valor, the game’s red team.
- The very last Pokémon he needed for his collection was Omastar, which he evolved himself. He says that he would have caught it a day earlier when two appeared in his vicinity — but then Verizon cell service cut out for 15 minutes, denying him of his prize. “Shout out to Verizon, you the real MVP,” Johnson jokes.
- The second-to-last Pokémon that Johnson needed, Porygon, was also the hardest, and required a trip to Jersey City. “I may or may not have seen it on the radar and then ordered an Uber to drive me around until I found it,” Johnson says.
- The best spots in New York City for catching Pokémon are Battery Park and Grand Army Plaza in Central Park. The latter is where Justin Bieber was spotted playing, and on any given night, there are 300 or so people gathered there for Pokémon hunting purposes, staying “well until the morning.”
- His best tip for would-be Pokémon masters: “Buy some good walking shoes.” He also recommends that if you’re going to spend real money for in-game items, then the egg incubators are the best bang for your buck.
If you’re a keen player in Cape Town and want some tips, here are mine:
- The Company’s Garden is a boss.
- Leach on all the available lures.
- City Bowl can have its days.
- Noordhoek & Kommetjie are havens.
- Open up the game if you sit in traffic a lot – the slow speed adds to your incubator count.
- I don’t think Razz Berry’s work.
- You really can have a conversation with people.
- UCT’s medical campus is lit.
- Battles are difficult so get some training in.
- Just because the grass is rustling, does not mean the dude is going to appear.
- The app really loves it when you walk. Like, really.
- You don’t need to spend money at all.
My addiction may have got a bit out of hand at one point, but it’s calmed down now, along with the hype. If you have any other tips, share in the comments below.