These level five water restrictions are not for the faint-hearted.
We ran through that announcement on Monday, outlining what is required of commercial and residential properties.
Some cracking fines for those who don’t play ball, too.
Now the magic number remains 87 litres per person per day, and Times LIVE have made a video to show you how easily that amount is reached.
Spoiler alert – if it’s yellow, let it mellow:
Some guidelines from the City:
- Have a 4-minute shower (40 litres) even though the city recommends a two-minute shower. Playing your favourite song while bathing is one way of keeping track of the time.
- Three toilet flushes (27 litres). The city has recommended that people “only flush when necessary”. Said Xanthea Limberg‚ mayoral committee member for water: “Don’t use it as a dustbin. If it’s yellow let it mellow. If it’s brown‚ flush it down.”
- Wash the dishes once (9 litres). It will also reduce the moaning from children tasked with this chore.
- Wash your hands and face once (3 litres). Wet wipes could come in handy.
- Brush your teeth twice (0.3 litres). Don’t forget to floss.
- Prepare two cooked meals (1.2-litres). You will have to do with eating out once you’ve reached your quota.
- Drink seven glasses of water (1.75 litres). This is less than the 2 litres so many experts advise.
- And give your pet one large bowl of water (1 litre). If your dog doesn’t finish his water‚ you could.
So much to pick apart there.
What if my favourite song is actually Lynard Skynard’s Free Bird, which is around nine minutes long? Don’t have kids, but love to moan myself. Flossing is for cucks. Blow your budget almost entirely on eating out. Screw the hydration experts.
Jokes aside, good effort by the City to inject a little humour into a dire situation.
You can calculate your daily water usage using the City’s handy Water Calculator, and then be a lekker person and play by the rules.
[imagesource: Bryan Adams / Pirelli] Bryan Adams' 2022 Pirelli Calendar is here and it ...
As November 2021 draws to a close, there’s one thing that crypto market data can tell us...
[imagesource: YouTube / TeamFinityZA] Over the past few years, South Africans have begu...
[imagesource: AA] An F-35 stealth plane fitted with next-generation sensors, radars, an...
[imagesource: Gallo Images / Brenton Geach] South Africans have made it abundantly clea...