The times, they are a changing…
No longer is the woman stuck barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen, cooking up a storm for her hard working husband or partner. We’ve turned the tables, and we love it when men take charge in the kitchen and show off their culinary skills. It’s attractive. It shows that you care. And whilst it is nice to be wined and dined in restaurants, it’s also lovely to come home to aromas in your very own kitchen. There is even a word for it now – Gastrosexuals are men or women that “use their kitchen prowess to impress friends and prospective partners”. A British report called the ‘Emergence of the Gastrosexual’ says that 60% of men in the UK are now helping in the kitchen. Because we want to help you attract a wonderful partner, we chatted to chef Seelan Sundoo, owner of Seelan at the V&A Waterfront, and he gave us this recipe to make you look like a masterchef in the kitchen.
Seelan’s Roasted Eggplant Salad with Tuna Tartare and Japanese Chili Cumin Mayo.
This simple, fresh dish makes the most of complimentary flavours for a light and delicious meal. Serves 2.
200ml extra virgin olive oil
2 medium eggplants, sliced into rounds approximately 1cm thick
½ a handful of coriander leaves
2 large ripe tomatoes, peeled and seeded, then finely diced.
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
1. Heat the olive oil in a thick-based frying pan, and fry the eggplant rounds in small batches until they are evenly browned.
2. Remove the eggplant rounds from the oil.
3. Add coriander leaves to the hot oil, taking caution as the oil may spit.
4. Reduce the heat and add the tomatoes, seasoning with salt and pepper to your taste.
5. Cook for 1 minute, then return the eggplant to the pan.
6. Add vinegar.
7. Taste, and season with salt and pepper if needed.
Japanese Cumin Mayo
180g of ready-made Japanese mayo, which can be purchased at any Asian supermarket.
½ a teaspoon cumin powder
1 teaspoon chili powder
1. Pour the mayo into a medium-sized bowl.
2. Add cumin powder and chili powder.
3. Stir until completely combined.
Dice 250g of yellowfin tuna loin, and combine with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Season with salt, pepper and lemon juice.
1. Place 1 heaped tablespoon of the Eggplant Salad on the base of a bowl or deep plate.
2. Top with Tuna Tartare
3. Add a dollop of the Japanese Mayo
4. Garnish with a few coriander leaves and a drizzle of olive oil.
Once you are done with this dinner, and have managed to secure a second date, pop down to Seelan and be inspired.
[imagesource: Twitter / @JJSubroyen] Part of the Engen oil refinery in Wentworth, south...
[imagesource:here] As President Ramaphosa pointed out in last night's 'family meeting',...
It's tough to know who is the weakest cog in the Trump campaign's efforts to overturn the ...
[imagesource:here] According to Urban Dictionary, many pastimes and beverages have a si...
Motorists on the N2 on Tuesday morning at around 7:30AM were shocked to see a brazen assau...